Cortland, August 13th
Jets have had a rash of injuries during this camp, but none were serious until this week. Dee Milliner is lost for at minimum 4 weeks with a high ankle sprain. These can be tricky, and it will all depend on the severity of it, which will be determined once the swelling goes down. Lost for the season with a torn ACL is Dexter McDougle. The kid had an opportunity to start opposite Dee, but that will have to be put on hold.
Notes going into today:
- Yesterday the team practice under heavy rains
- Stephen Hill returned back to his old form and had two drops
- Calvin Pryor is back, and he is hitting like a truck again
- Rough day for the QBs too. Neither Geno nor Vick had a good day
- Ellis Lankaster has stepped up a lot this week, he must sense the opportunity at CB
- Geno was named the starter for Saturday against the Bengals. This surprised nobody, but left numerous reporters looking to create controversy, a bit disappointed.
- Antonio Allen continues to play CB. The kid has the speed and ability to force a WR to change his route at the line of scrimmage. If he can learn all the proper techniques in a few weeks remains to be seen
Day 21 – Today’s practice started at 10 , and unfortunately not much news from camp. Here are some tidbits from today:
- Rain, rain and more of the same
- Allen is out to prove critics wrong, he feels he can succeed at CB
- Jets continue to try a WC package that includes Vick.
- Jaiquawn Jarrett continues to play along side Calvin Pryor replacing Allen
- Decker, Patterson and Ivory returned to practice.
CB was thin last year, its thin again this year. Jets are relying on young kids and rethreads like Patterson. I am very intrigued by the Antonio Allen move, however I would rather see Rex try Wilson there while moving Patterson to his more natural position, slot CB.
Critics will continue to knock the Wild Cat idea, especially since it has failed miserably in NY. However, do to expect Morty to stop trying it. He has had success with it, using Vick during his first year as Donovan McNabb’s back up. Jets want to try to get the most out of a back up QB that still has incredible running ability. My only concern is how it affects Geno, because it clearly hurt Sanchez.
Quotes of the day:
- Rex says the conservative Cover 2 defensive scheme is “a dirty word” to him.
- GM John Idzik nominates Seahawks for ALS ice bucket challenge. On camera, Idzik says,”They got what we want.”